Monday, May 13, 2013

What Should I Grow In My Garden?

One of the common questions asked of me is "What do I grow" in my garden? There's no simple answer because I don't grow the same crops every year, but I do have "core" crops that I always grow: lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrotsonions,  garlic, potatoes and squash. If you look at this list you will see that with the exception of lettuce and onions, most of these crops are "expensive" to purchase, especially if you are purchasing the organic varieties. This may be one key to setting up your garden. If you can buy organic varieties at a reasonable price, why grow it? The best reason might be the special "taste" of fresh picked crops. There is no question that going to your garden and picking any vegetable will taste better than anything you can buy in a store.  

Because of this taste difference, I grow some crops like carrots and garlic  Every time I put out carrots for my guests they comment on "just how great they taste." "That's how a carrot should taste" is one of the most common comments at my dinner table all summer long. I hear the same for my string beans and tomatoes as well. Most store bought fruits and vegetables just can't match the flavor of fresh picked. If you only eat organic fruits and vegetables it's a tough question as to which is more important, price or taste. Most of the time choosing crops that are both better tasting and expensive as well is a good way to choose. Cucumbers fall into both categories, they are both better tasting and very expensive to purchase in a store. Evan non-organic are between a dollar and a dollar and a half for each cucumber and a summer salad with a cucumber is just not a salad.

Also expensive and good tasting are tomatoes  I could spend a whole post talking about tomatoes alone. I grow at least 4 varieties, from small grape strains to great eating tomatoes and a few for types for my famous tomato sauces. Unlike most sauce makers, I don't grow or use plum tomatoes. I like sweet or sweet/hot sauce and mostly use midsize tomatoes that I could either just slice and eat or make sauce with. Most are heirloom varieties but some of the new hybrids are too tempting to not try. I like to switch and try at least one new variety a year. 

Not all choices have to be expensive store bought crops. One of my favorite inexpensive core crops is lettuce. I grow at least 6 types of lettuce and an equal amount of Japanese Greens. Nothing is better to start a meal then a mixed salad. The Japanese Greens adds a multitude of additional flavors, from nutty to zippy. Depending upon the main course, I might add a little Arugula (which I also grow) to the mix. (Johnny's Seeds, which is where most of these links go sells Arugula in "seed disks" which make it very easy to plant). 

In addition to my core crops I add broccoli and brussel sprouts most years. Both can be harvested late in the summer and fall. For early crops I add peas and string beans. Last year besides my usual squash, I tried an italian variety  trombone zucchini, which now have become a standard annual crop.

A few red flags should be discussed. If you are not growing from seed (which is the best way to go), never buy from a discount source. Never buy from Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot or any of the other discount outlets that go into the gardening business 3 months of the year. They don't take care of their plants and sell deceased  uncared for plants. Plants from these sources can have everything from funguses to bug infestations. Purchase only from all year suppliers and only the best possible stock. 

Lastly, try at least a few "never planted before" crops each year. This year besides planting potatoes, I planted Jerusalem Artichoke, a potato like crop.  I also try and increase my fruit varieties, this year planting 4 more dwarf apple trees, 2 new varieties of strawberries, 2 new blueberry bushes and 1 new grape. It's not too late to plant, so go ahead a have a great planting season. You'll be a happy camper this fall. 



No comments:

Post a Comment